Friday, November 19, 2010

City of life

Oh yes! Time for some representin'! What can I say about my beautiful city? In the past 4 years it has flourished more than ever. Known for its buildings such as Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) and the Burj Al Arab as well as for its man-made islands, The Palm. I still remember when I was once in London, UK, and someone had asked where I was from, and when I said Dubai, they replied, "Where is that?" Look at it now... Almost every time I have said that I was from Dubai, I always get the same exact reply "No way! I would love to go there!" However, despite its popularity, Dubai will always be my home. If I were to suggest when people should visit Dubai, it would be during the months of November till February. That way, it isn't too hot for tourists to sit in cafes outside, but it's just hot enough in the morning to be able to tan, and also so tourists don't miss out on the shopping festival action held in February!

So from my previous posts, you all have seen that Paris has the Eiffel Tower as its symbol, and Agra has the Taj Mahal, well, Dubai has the Burj Al Arab. The Burj Al Arab is known for being one of the most premier hotels in the world. The way it's shaped is like a sail, since Dubai is known for its fishing and shipping culture. Yes, it is a culture because for as long as history dates back fishing has dominated Dubai.

Several interesting facts about the Burj Al Arab:

  • It is 1,035 feet tall.
  • It rests on an artificial island.
  • It costed $650 million to construct this hotel.
  • It took less than three years to build.
  • Each of the 27 floors has its own concierge desk so you can check-in and out of the floor you're on to speed up the checking in process. 
  • If you are a guest at the Burj Al Arab, you get your very own personal butler in every suite, as well as your very own Rolce Royce chauffeur, available 24 hours, instead of taxis.
  • Guests can choose whether they want to arrive to the hotel in a Rolce Royce or private helicopter.
  • At night, the lights that flicker on the Burj Al Arab is meant to represent water and fire; both indicating the ocean and the desert in the Arabian Peninsula.
I was going to start writing about how crazy the interior design of the rooms are, but then decided to show some pictures to ogle over instead.  Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting fellow Diem-er! xx