Saturday, November 6, 2010

J'aime PARIS

What better way to start of my travel page than with the first place I would like to go to after I have graduated? Paris Paris Paris! When you think of Paris, you think of words such as crepes, croissants, fashion capital, city of love... The image that pops into my head when I think of Paris is the Eiffel Tower. Everything about it is amazing and I don't think anything in the world could compare to such a beautiful monument. I can't wait for the day where I am standing right under it and think to myself, "Wow! I've made it!" Nothing compares to such a beautifully created structure made out of JUST iron! It is so unique that you won't find any other architectural structure such as this one. It's one of the world's most recognized structure, and it world-reknown and will be known to all for generations to come.

Several Interesting facts about the Eiffel Tower:

  • Built in 1889 as a competition for the World's Fair
  • Designer: French architect and Engineer, Alexandre Gustave-Eiffel (also helped with the Statue of Liberty)
  • One person died in the construction of the Eiffel Tower.
  • The restaurant located in the Eiffel Tower is called Altitude 95 because of the fact that it is 95 meters above sea level, it can seat up to 200 people.
  • The Eiffel tower is painted every 7 years to protect it from rusting, it takes about 18 months to paint and 50 tons of paint to do so.
  • There are 1,665 steps in the Eiffel Tower.
  • Originally, it was supposed to have been built Barcelona, Spain for the Universal Exposition of 1889; but the idea was shot down because it did not "fit in" with the infrastructure of the city and it was too expensive. (Gustave Eiffel had investors help him out)
  • To the French, it symbolizes freedom because it was a sign of victory, as the military used it for dispatching in The First Battle of Marne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting fellow Diem-er! xx