Make some lemonade! (or if you're having a really bad day: Tequilla shots) But I would advice against it especially since this post is supposed to be a healthy one! Yep, you've guessed it this post is all about the health benefits of LEMONS! Or as we call it in Arabic, "laymoon," or in French, "citron," or in Spanish, "limón." I love biting on lemons with a pinch of salt! Even though you shouldn't since pure lemon juice destroys the enamel of your teeth, but I like the sour-y taste of it! I bet looking at these pictures are making your taste buds tickle already! Or even thinking about biting on one right now. I got you there, didn't I?
Now let's get up to it, shall we? Lemons contain several different kinds of vitamins: vitamin A, vitamin C, bioflavonoids (otherwise known as vitamin P) as well as small number of niacin and thiamine. There you go, some foreshadowing for you all. Now, for the real juice...
The health benefits of lemons:
- This fruit really is useful around this time. Since it's winter you need to make sure you prevent yourself from getting colds or any other flus going around. What better way to do that than by having some lemon? Cut a few slices up into your water. It will help the body discard of all its toxins! And it is very hydrating too! Why do you think people drink lemonade when it's 30 degrees outside?
- Hmm... you remember Vasco da Gama? Yeah, the guy who was the commander of one of the first ships that ever set sail from Europe all the way to India? Do you remember why THIRTY men of his crew passed on? BECAUSE OF SCURVY! A vitamin C deficiency which could have been prevented if they had had some lemons on board.
- The vitamin P found within lemon is a very good way to prevent high blood pressure since it is known to strengthen blood vessels as well as prevent internal hemorrhage.
- I know this is disgusting... But this is useful information in case of anything: Lemon has been known to get rid of intestinal worms.
- Lemon is a diuretic which therefore relieves any kidney or bladder disorders.
- Lemons help produce WBC's (White Blood Cells) as well as antibodies within the blood which fights off all the invading microorganisms - thus helps in fighting infections.
- Lemons can help relieve a fever since it increases perspiration.
- If you ever end up getting sun burnt - apply some lemon to hydrate your skin!
- I know this isn't a health benefit, but if you're forced to go camping one day just make sure you lemon-up your arms - they repel mosquitoes!
And there is more... For all you nail polish-devotees out there, soaking your nails in lemon juice for ten minutes and then scrubbing it with warm water and white vinegar using a nail brush (or an old tooth brush if you don't have one) will get rid of your yellow nails. Of course, you'd have to repeat this process for a week or so, depending on exactly how long it's been since you left your nails polish-free.
You want to get rid of blackheads? The citric acid found in lemons dissolve the oils that develop the blackheads in your skin; so before you go to bed just rub some lemon on the blackhead areas and rinse your face with cool water in the morning - make sure this is done until the blackheads have disappeared, it can't be done all in one go.
So keep a supply of lemons in your fridge because you never know when you will be needing them!