Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rue Crescent

For my first Beauty 'Do it YOURSELF!' episode, I've decided to start with half moon nails. Which is something I've had my eye on for a while now. It is inspired by the 40s and can be seen on celebrities such as Dita von Teese, Solange Knowles and Ciara! And it is really unique to see someone with nails such as these! So try it yourself, it's easy and doesn't take long!

Step #1: First of, choose a light color for your base (I've chosen Sally Hansen's Xtreme Wear in Celeb City, which is a silver color) and paint your nails. Wait for them to dry before doing the next step.

Step #2: Then, get some paper reinforcement labels (you know the stickers you use to repair your torn 3-ring papers?) and cut them in half. (It's amazing what you can do with office/school supplies! They're not just for work they can be used as beauty products too!) Once you have cut them in half, stick them on the base of your nail so as to use them as a stencil.

Step #3: After you have done so, get a dark nail polish color (I've chosen Nicole by O.P.I. in Razzle Dazzler, which is a black color) paint your nails normally with the labels still on your nails and then once they have dried, take the stickers off.

And voilà! There you have it! 40's inspired nails!

Note: And you can mix it up too! And try and put the darker nail polish as your base and your lighter on top! You could even try doing a "French half moon manicure" where you do this whole process and at the end use your base to do your french-tip.

Another two colors I recommend: for the light nail polish color try out Essie's 'Naked Truth' and O.P.I.'s 'Barefoot in Barcelona'

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I have never dared to try half-moon nails but I think I am going to try and follow your instructions! Thanks so much for sharing your how-to,
    XOXO
    Catanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Anytime! You should definitely try it out!
    Also, a word of advice: For short nails, you should make the half moon smaller so that it doesn't look awkward and if you've got long nails well then you can make it however big you want it to be.

    Thanks for the comment! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting fellow Diem-er! xx