Thursday, March 24, 2011

Struck by Starbucks

For the past week, I'm ashamed to say that I've been cheating on one of my loves: Tim Hortons. The reason for this is because 1) Starbucks is right under the building I live in, so when I have an early class that I'm running late for and I have no time to make tea on-the-go, I go there instead and 2) my recent discovery of their Green Tea Latte. 

For those of you who have been following my blog, you'll know that I have a serious addiction to teas and so when I heard about this I HAD to give it a try. And oh did I try it! (sometimes twice a day) I've never tried anything like it! The rich taste of green tea immediately gets you hooked after your first sip. The sweetness is not too much yet not too little, it's JUST right.

However, after trying my first cup, I decided to mix it up for my second try: I added Starbucks' vanilla powder to it and stirred it up which was TEN TIMES BETTER! I didn't stop there... On my next trip, I added some mocha powder and for all you coffee lovers out there, you would DEFINITELY love this. It created a chocolate-coffee flavoring that tasted DIVINE! Yes, I know, I'm obsessed but I can't help it. 

On another note, I'd like to bring up the new Starbucks logo: I don't know about you all but WHAT were they thinking? Although it is good thing, in the sense that Starbucks is established enough to remove their name from the logo and have people know that it is them just by the double-tailed siren, I feel like it's kind of cheap... And I started to ponder whether it was because I wasn't used to it yet but after revisiting the idea for a week, I've made up my mind about it: It's just TOO plain. Ok, I'll admit that the stars on the old logo were a bit tacky but nevertheless, it still had that oomph to it. According to Financial Post, Chief Executive Howard Schultz says that the name was eliminated due to products that may not contain any coffee and yet it says "Starbucks Coffee."

Another thing that I was wondering was how and why did the founders of Starbucks decide to put a double-tailed siren for their logo. And after much research, I found that since the founders (Jerry Baldwin, Zev Siegl, and Gordon Bowker) were from Seattle, and Seattle was known from its strong seaport roots, they wanted something that would represent the seafaring trade of coffee. They came across a  Norse woodcut art that bared a double-tailed siren upon it. 

For those of you who don't know about sirens, they are mythological women that were seductresses who lured sailors with their appealing music to their death. With that being said, the reason behind the logo was that sirens was to be as seductive as coffee - which explains Starbucks' first logo with the bare-breasted siren. I actually find this really smart and creative, but I kind of find it ironic too how sirens lured the sailors to their deaths just as too much caffeine does too?

P.S. Have you ever tried Starbucks' Green Tea Latte? What are your thoughts on the new logo?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting fellow Diem-er! xx