Saturday, April 21, 2012

Situational differences

I only ever post topics on womenswear on my blog, and things that might be of interest to me as well as my readers. However, in these past 4 months, menswear has been a big part of my life as most of my projects consisted of looking at the latest trends for men during Fall/Winter 2012 as well as forecasting what the trends will be in Spring/Summer 2013. Which means research, research, research! When I say research I don't mean just online research, I had to visit a couple of stores in Montreal to see their latest collections and examine the elements of style; this was after interviewing a couple of men in the city to find out which stores they visited.

Another reason I'm posting this up is because I find that whoever is in fashion should not only know about womenswear but also menswear as it gives you some perception of the differences and how much effort goes into creating a look for men. And after doing this research I had such an urge to dress a man up. I guess I'll settle with buying a Ken doll once all these projects are done.  Anywho... After all this research I realized that I wouldn't mind dedicating my life to a career in menswear.

Moving on. Before embarking on this wonderful venture of trend research, I was really intrigued by the thought of how menswear evolves in this day and age. After all, the items that menswear consists of is minimal in comparison to womenswear. They've got shorts, pants, shirts, t-shirts and jackets whereas we've got an infinite amount of garments!

I was wrong, wrong, slap-on-the-wrist wrong!

Let me give you a small insight as to how many different items lies in one category for men... Let's take shorts as an example. There are Jamaica shorts, Bermuda shorts, Short pants, Classic shorts, Pirate shorts, the list goes on and on...

And the difficult part about menswear is that the changes mostly lie in the details of an item. Did you know that ONE button added to men's shirts is considered a new trend? Well, if you didn't, now you do...

So for this project, my group and I researched menswear in the "Street-Casual" category for Young Adult males (between the ages of 18-30) and we had to choose five different designers as well as a fashion capital (New York) that represents this category. My justification for the chosen capital is that most of the designers that relate to the Street-Casual category are based in New York as well as the fact that 18 to 30-year-old men are inspired by a lot of artists that are from New York, such as Jay Z.

And so without further ado, I present to you the five designers selected to best represent the Street Casual look in this season's Spring/Summer 2012. The whole collection is not featured in the picture, but only the ones I deemed most necessary to include.







I saved the best for last: General Idea's collection was the one I fell in love with featuring a lot of Shirtwaist button down collars (which I have a current obsession with in menswear, I find it looks uber trendy) and the use of two-tone designs such as the stripes tied in with plaid is so creative! There were a lot of double pointed patch pockets with buttoned flaps which was interesting as the other collections only featured them as accent details. General Idea's collection is inspired by "Les Garçons de la Plage" meaning the boys of the beach. I adore it!

This is just an introductory of what was done for my Trends project. I will continue on in another post and hopefully you'll be able to see the "real deal" on the more in-depth views of these collections using the elements of style.

For now, it's Ta-Ta!

P.S. Which collection did you like the most? Do you feel like dressing a man up yet?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the runway pics you created. They look like paper dolls. Cute blog!
    Mandy
    nestledinnostalgia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting fellow Diem-er! xx